CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, June 16, 2008

Ball and Chain?

Q: Will my child with Down syndrome have to live with me for the rest of her life?

A: Probably not, but if so, would that be such a bad thing?

That was my biggest fear--to never be "free" again to be spontaneous and just go wherever, whenever.

I've thought about the possible living arrangements. Depending upon Madison's capabilities, she could live in a group home or have her own apartment (with or without roommates). She could live with one of her siblings. She could marry and live with her husband. She could live with us in her bedroom or in a guest house on the property. She could possibly live in her own home.

All of these arrangements will most likely include support of one kind or another.

I've worried about a future with a ball and chain around my ankle. However, these days there is so much support available that I no longer think that way. And Madison holds so much promise. Each day brings something new. She's bright and friendly and funny. It's exciting to see her interact with others. I think of the impact she has on people and can't help but smile.

She's concentrated sunshine.

As humans, we tend to surround ourselves with beautiful things to enrich our lives...flowers, art, music, favorite colors, a comfortable chair....why would it be so awful to have concentrated sunshine living with you, too?

I guess it wouldn't.

0 comments: